Freelancer.com makes finding and hiring temporary or ongoing help for any project quick and easy. We provide employers such as yourself with access to skilled freelancers from around the world and the tools to help you find the right ones for your jobs. Use the guidelines below to see just how simple outsourcing your projects can be.
Registration is required in order to post projects or hire freelancers. Follow these simple steps:
- Complete our short registration form. You’ll be asked to create a unique username that will identify you on our system. You’ll also need to provide a valid email address and confirm reading our Terms and Conditions. No personal information is requested.
- Confirm your email address. When you submit the registration form, a message containing a link and confirmation code will be sent to the email address you provided. You must follow the instructions in the email to provide the confirmation code in order to activate your account.
- Create your profile. Take a few minutes to provide some information about yourself and/or your business. This information will be stored in your profile to provide other members with an overview of you as and employer. No personal or contact information is shared.
Posting a Project
To hire freelancers, you need to post one or more projects. This allows service providers to bid and correspond with you through our site.
- Log in to your Freelancer.com account.
- Hover over Hire Freelancers from the main site menu and select Start a Project.
- Select the category of work to be done.
- Enter your project title. Keep it short, but descriptive.
- List the skills required for the work.
- Create a project description. Provide as much detail as possible. The more accurate your project description is, the more accurate you can expect the bids to be.
- Upload any relevant files by clicking + Upload Files.
- Choose whether your project will have a fixed-price or will be an hourly one.
- Select your payment currency and budget range. Be as realistic as possible with your budget selection.
- Select optional project upgrades if you prefer.
- Submit your project by clicking Post Project Now. Note that the total fees for any upgrades you may purchase will be shown at the bottom of your project form.
Note: Before posting your first project, we recommend reading the article Tips for Posting Projects for valuable information about creating an effective project post.
Your posted projects will automatically be tracked on your My Projects page. Under the Projects and Contests section, you will see the list of all your projects. To go to a project's page, click on the project's title. On your project's page, you will be able to review bids, shortlist and hide them, send a message to bidders, and award your preferred freelancers.
Note: Bidders do not have the option to message an employer unless the employer messages them first or they may be a recommended freelancer. Thus, it is advisable to make the initial contact with the freelancer/s you are interested in working with.
To do this, go to Proposals tab on your project's page, look for the freelancer's bid, and click Chat. If the freelancer is online, a chat window will appear. If not, your message will be sent as a private message that they will be able to read once they log in.
Editing a Project Description
Changing your original project description after bidding starts is not allowed as this may cause issues for bidders. You may, however, include additional information to your description to help bidders better understand the project.
If you are considering this, you can go to your project's page, click on the "..." icon next to your Management tab, and select Edit. Scroll down to input your additional details under the Add to Existing Description field, then click on Update my Project to save them.
Canceling a Project
You may cancel a project at any time before it is awarded. Note that canceled projects cannot be reopened, and all bids will be lost. You can cancel your project by selecting the Close action for it on your My Projects page. Alternatively, you can go to the project's page, click on the "..." icon and select Close.
Communicating with Bidders
Employers will be able to communicate with bidders and discuss the project details by clicking the Chat button on the user's bid on their project's page. Once employers initiate communication, the bidders will have access to the Private Message Board (PMB) and can discuss the project with the employer in detail.
Most bidders will use private messages to provide you with information they didn't want to list on their bids and to send samples, resumes, etc.
All details of the project not stated in the project description should be decided during these communications, including such details as copyright, delivery schedules, and payment methods and schedules. It is highly recommended to finalize all the project details with your chosen freelancer first before you award them.
You can shortlist your preferred bids to help you with the selection process. Shortlisted bids will be separated from your main bidders' list, so you can easily view and compare them. To shortlist a bid, hover your mouse over a bid and click on the heart icon (Shortlist option) that will appear on its upper right corner.
Before you select providers, we recommend reading How to Select the Right Bidder. When you’ve selected one or more service providers for your project, you can award the project from your bid list. From your project's page, click on the Award button of your selected freelancer. The awarded freelancer will then receive email and dashboard notifications for the award and they can accept or reject the award through them.
Payment methods and schedules should be discussed prior to the award of a project. Payments to providers (freelancers) can be made through Milestone Payments, invoices, and fund transfers. Using our payment services offers advantages for both the service buyer and service provider. These advantages include a secure transfer of payments, the use of our rating and feedback system, and access to our Dispute Resolution Services.
The Milestone Payment System provides assurance to the freelancer that the funds are available and allows the employer to release the funds only when specific goals have been met by the freelancer.
Any advance payments made to freelancers are made at the employer’s risk.
While it is not unusual for service providers to request an advance payment, particularly on large-scale projects, employers are under no obligation to provide one and should only consider this option with well-trusted providers. Freelancer.com assumes no responsibility for any loss of funds due to advance payments.
To make a payment via the Milestone Payment System, follow these steps:
- Deposit funds to your Freelancer.com account through the Deposit Funds page.
- Go to your project's page and select the Management tab.
- Click the Create Milestone link.
- Specify the amount and payment description.
- Click Create.
- Click the Release button next to the created Milestone Payment.
- Specify the amount to be released. You can release partial amounts of the Milestone Payment.
- Click Release.
You will be notified that released funds can no longer be returned to you and will be prompted to continue or not before the payment gets released. If you do not wish to release your created Milestone Payment, it will remain pending on your project until such time that the freelancer's work is completed and you wish to pay them.
Funds deposited through the Milestone Payment System may only be returned to the employer’s account through the freelancer's confirmation. By the same token, funds can only be released to the freelancer by the employer. Use the payment system to release the funds per your agreement with the service provider.
To transfer funds directly to a freelancer, follow these steps:
- Hover over your balance on the upper right part of your page and select Finances.
- Select the Transfer Funds tab.
- Select your project's title or freelancer.
- Enter the payment amount and description.
- Click Complete Transfer.
Note: All payments made through Transfer Funds are final.
A project is considered completed after the final payment for the project has been made.
If a project uses the Milestone Payment System and issues arise that can’t be resolved, employers and freelancers can take advantage of Freelancer.com’s Dispute Resolution Services. This is only available for projects with existing Milestone Payment/s or Milestone Payments that were created by the employer.
To file a dispute, hover over Help on top of your Dashboard and select Disputes. Click Create New Dispute and thoroughly read the steps that you will need to follow.
Feedback and Rating
When a project is completed through payments within the Freelancer.com system, the rating and feedback system for that project will be activated. The employer and freelancer will have the option to rate each other’s performance on a simple 5-star rating scale as well as leave comments. Comments and feedback will become publicly available when both parties have provided feedback or 14 days after only one party posts. To ensure fairness, members may also post a response to the other party’s comments.
A freelancer's average ratings and their individual project ratings and feedback are made available on their profile page to help employers assess the value of working with that freelancer.
The feedback and rating system allows both buyers and providers the opportunity to build their reputations through performance. It also provides the entire Freelancer.community with added protection against potential scams and unsatisfactory business transactions.
You may post an Incomplete Report if a freelancer is unable or fails to complete your project. It is recommended that employers use this option with caution. Keep reports on a professional level and avoid making derogatory comments about a service provider.