Senior Thermal Hydraulic Engineer
Reporting to the Thermal Hydraulic Analysis Manager, the Senior Thermal Hydraulic Engineer is responsible for both thermal-hydraulics methods development and application to TerraPower reactor design concepts. The Senior Thermal Hydraulic Engineer will perform a variety of other thermal-hydraulic analyses to support reactor design and qualification testing, scaling analysis, and design of experiments.
• Develop and apply thermal-hydraulic analysis methods, from steady state one dimensional network hydraulic analysis to transient, three dimensional, eddy resolved computational fluid dynamics (CFD) calculations.
• Perform code benchmarking and validation analyses to support code qualification and methodology development.
• Perform calculations using first principles of heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and thermodynamics to support and validate analysis results.
• Integrate with other engineering groups performing aspects of component, system, fuel, and control system design and related thermal-hydraulic testing.
• Support development of testing programs needed for reactor core, component and nuclear island design and code validation.
Key Qualifications and Skills
• M.S. or PhD in nuclear or mechanical engineering
• Ten to fifteen years of experience in nuclear thermal hydraulic analysis and design
• Strong thermal-hydraulic analytical skills with expertise in CFD methods development and one dimensional hydraulic network analysis
• Experience with StarCCM+, GOTHIC, and RELAP5-3D thermal-hydraulic tools preferred
• Demonstrated experience developing new analytical methods
• Strong technical writing skills
• Effective communication skills
• Experience with thermal-hydraulic testing is a plus
• Experience with first-of-a-kind nuclear reactor design projects is a plus
• Familiar with nuclear engineering design, operations, regulatory requirements, and industry precedents
• The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect with a desire to foster teamwork